Thread: Best Online Dictionary: Which One To Use?

Best Online Dictionary: Which One To Use?

Sorry to be creating a thread about this, but I thought the people in the WritingForums community would be the best place to ask this question!

I just want an online dictionary that gives 100% accurate and 100% valid information.

What can people recommend?

Thank you!

Wordweb. You might like it. Highlight a word and it offers a definition. It can be used in any Microsoft application and google application. If you want the features, of the dictionary, that is more dictionaries, it has oxford, collins, and more I can't quite recall. But it can cost depending. Bare bones it does the job, with upgrades up to 99 dollars, you should get every major dictionary minus a few. It is in the Microsoft store and others so it is pretty legitimate and safe. I downloaded a copy. Unfortunately, some features are not included from the basic installation such as speech, a thesaurus might not be installed. You have to pay extra. I use anti-virus software and it is a safe download. (I reread, reading is important to understand what you said.)

I wish it had a reverse dictionary.

Online dictionaries may be more complete, and reverse dictionaries are not included but thought I'd mention it. I don't know how big it is but those are the features. Which might be worth buying depending on what one places importance in a dictionary.

http://www.onelook.com/thesaurus/

I like the above thesaurus.

I think all dictionaries are pretty much the same.

The program I mentioned is cheaper that owning the cd version of the oxford dictionary. So depending on what kind of buyer or user you are maybe there is something appealing about it.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; April 19th, 2017 at 03:50 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.

Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    I think all dictionaries are pretty much the same.
    Yeah, I think you got hit the nail on the head there.

As long as it's a valid dictionary it should give you accurate and complete information. Think Oxford, Collins etc.
    Carpe Diem.