Thread: Capitalization Questions

Capitalization Questions

Within my WIP, there are FBI agents. When talking about the president, the P isn't capitalized normally unless followed by his name. The president vs. President Jackson. Where I'm getting jammed up is in the situations below.

1. At one point, I describe a guy as looking "Federal." Cap F or not? I initially chose not, but my wife says yes.

2. The protagonist refers to the guys as "Feds." Cap F or not?

3. The FBI agent character refers to the "Bureau" here and there. I assume the B is capitalized?

Hmmmm
    How do you get a musician off your front porch?

Pay for the pizza.

I'd say no to federal. It's a description, like royal.
    Yes to The Feds and The Bureau, as they've become names, like "And Mum came, too."

Not certain, though.

Thank you. I tend to agree. I also capitalize Dad and Mom when using them in place of their names.

Pay for the pizza.

1. No.
    2.Yes.
    3.Yes.
    Site Rules and Regs

My Novel

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

I concur.
    federal, Feds, Bureau
    Although, how does one look federal? If you mean someone looks like a Fed, it's perhaps clearer to just say that.

Quote Originally Posted by per se View Post
    Although, how does one look federal? If you mean someone looks like a Fed, it's perhaps clearer to just say that.
    To me, it's clear as day because I wrote it. I guess I was going for the protagonist looking at a guy and thinking he was federal rather than local law enforcement. You're right though. It might just be better to say he looked like a Fed. Thanks!

Pay for the pizza.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by violinguy View Post
    Within my WIP, there are FBI agents. When talking about the president, the P isn't capitalized normally unless followed by his name. The president vs. President Jackson. Where I'm getting jammed up is in the situations below.

1. At one point, I describe a guy as looking "Federal." Cap F or not? I initially chose not, but my wife says yes.

2. The protagonist refers to the guys as "Feds." Cap F or not?

3. The FBI agent character refers to the "Bureau" here and there. I assume the B is capitalized?

Hmmmm
    Hmm indeed. I would say:

1. Describing a guy as looking "Federal" is a little, I dunno, out of whack, for me, because unless your narrator speaks like, whoa, that's totally federal dude, or something, "man, I feel defederated after last night", "federal" is an actual thing; it means centralised, not handled by some distant entity but controlled by the middle, and it's hard to see how a person could look like that. Governments can be federalised, yes; as can bureaux of investigation, as can many things. Maybe your guys looks like a Fed? That would make more sense, to me.

2. Yes, Cap F.

3. Yes, I think so, otherwise readers'll think he's talking about some Welsh dresser or roll top desk!

~ * ~

"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us."
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

~ is this fire, or is this mask?
    it's the Mantasy! ~
    - Anonymous

"C'mon everybody, don't need this crap!"
    - Wham!

~ * ~