Thread: Forum News - WiFs 32

Forum News - WiFs 32

Spring is in the air and it's not just the birds and bees that are tweeting and buzzing with excitement! We are really buzzing thanks to Sigmadog's amazing news concerning WiFs!

Originally Posted by sigmadog
    Last night I attended the American Advertising Federation's District XI Addy Awards here in Spokane, Washington (USA), and I am pleased to report that WiFs won the following awards (we call them Addy's):

• Silver Addy for Online/Interactive Digital Publication (an overall award for the publication as a whole)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WriterFalls-AddyAward.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	17500

• Silver Addy in the category Elements of Advertising; Illustration - "Writer Falls"

Name:	ScaryBooks-addyaward.jpg 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	17501

• Silver Addy in the category Elements of Advertising; Illustration - "Scary Books"

All three winners will now be forwarded on to a regional competition, and potentially on to the national competition.

-sigmadog

Congratulations to Sigma and fingers crossed for the next stage of the competition!

Grand Fiction Challenge 2017

This year the WF Grand Fiction Challenge attracted 15 quality entries who vied for prize money totaling $200. There was also an additional $25 prize for 'The People's Choice' winner which was decided by poll

Drum roll....

The winners of the Grand Fiction Challenge of 2017 are

In 1st place we have Looking Back by Joshybo
    in 2nd, Spring Cleaning by HarperCole
    and in 3rd, Hazard Pay by Tealynn

We would also like to take this opportunity to not only thank the challenge sponsors, Meerkat Press and WritingForums.com, but also the challenge judges.

Name:	AnnualChallenge - Sponsor Logo.jpg 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	17502

Member News

We like to keep abreast of our members' successes. Please let us know what you have published, where and when! Congratulations to:

Originally Posted by Mikeyboy_esq

Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors

Good news! Today, I received an email to let me know that my self-published book (Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors) was selected as the solo Medalist Winner in the Education category of the 2016 New Apple Annual Book Awards for Excellence in Independent Publishing... whew, that is a long title! But seriously, I'm very excited b/c this is the first book contest that I ever won and it's for my first book. Actually, I entered my first book in several book contests for promotional purposes, so maybe I'll get lucky again. Sadly, there is no big cash prize for winning this particular award, but I do hope it will lead to some much-needed publicity. Plus, I can finally advertise my book as "award-winning" (for whatever that is worth... )

Originally Posted by Angel101
    My poem "Cartography with Tears" was accepted a couple weeks ago and is live at One today! The issue is excellent, and I'm pleased to be in such great company!

Originally Posted by moderan
    I'm participating in the RPM Challenge in 2017. The challenge is to write, perform, and record an entire cd's worth of material in a month. To make it more of a challenge for myself, I've chosen to go outside my usual prog/space rock medium and do an album of jazz. Originally I wanted to do all piano-trio, but I can't resist horn arrangements or guitar forever.

I am pleased to report Duane (moderan) completed the challenge.

This link takes you to the last blogpost, which has an MP3 player. The last tune was a 'radical' reinterpretation of Black Sabbath's War Pigs, in which only parts of the bassline survive.

Last Month we reported

Moderan is serving as editor-in-chief, publicist, and general henchman for an anthology of literary weird fiction. Test Patterns involves stories and poetry written in the vein of the old Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Night Gallery...not in the retro sense, but in the sense of possible moral underpinnings, plot twists, dark subject matter. Right now it's invite-only, and has attracted some of the best-known writers in the weird fiction field. Watch this space for further updates!

I asked Duane (Moderan) for an update:

."Test Patterns is moving forward after an underwhelming crowdfund. The submissions window for invitees has opened and attrition will determine whether or not additional material will be needed. We still feel that this will become one of the best anthologies in a crowded field but the budget is rather more limited than we had anticipated. Still forecast for Hallowe'en publication."

Please don't forget to share your success on >Beyond the Forum<

Contests and Challenge Winners for February 2017

Monthly Poetry Challenge

Prompt:
    The prompt for February's challenge, as chosen by clark was: Free Will/Volition
    Winning Entry: Congratulations our beloved Gumby for her superbly well wrought winning piece, "My Entry".

Pip (Poets in Progress) Challenge

Prompt: The focus for February's Pip Challenge was rhyming couplets and poets were asked to write ten lines of rhyming couplets on the theme of love.
    Winning Entries: The winner for the most improved poem was rcallaci with his poem 'Suicide Dreams' and the best poem was awarded to midnightpoet with 'Cowboys Can Cry'

CoF (Colours of Fiction Scene Prompt Challenge)

Cancelled due to the Grand LM Challenge.

WF Member Author Interviews

Name:	Moderan.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	17503

Our March interview gave us an insight into the talented author and musician, Duane Pesice, or better known to WritingForums members as Moderan.

Duane makes marks on blank pieces of paper and wields a piece of wood with wires on it. He is a self-taught college graduate and communicates through the ether.

He writes weird fiction, strange songs, and a thrice-weekly column about the Chicago Cubs. His stories have appeared in a great many places, both online and off. He has at present one self-published ebook, about to go into a second edition with a new title, new stories, format, and deadtree options. More books are coming – three more are planned for this year, and he is the editor-in-chief of a weird fiction anthology called Test Patterns, which is in crowdfunding stage. He has somewhere around 500 mostly progressive rock tunes posted in various places on the internet.

Interview continues <HERE>

Limelight!

Name:	limelight.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	17504

Schrody our resident LIMELIGHT hostess has been busy again this month interviewing WF members, HarperCole and Moderan. Great interviews, Schrody!

Out and about around the forum. What's new?

The Red Light room

Strictly Adults Only. Rated R18+. An invite-only forum for Red Light Ticket-holders. This forum allows for explicitly graphic works which should be treated sensitively and with respect.

If you would like a ticket to post your work for critique and work with other members, please contact Cran

The Great Op-Ed Challenge

A challenge for lovers of the topical or controversial. Take a side, and take your best shot, because you only get one.

The first challenge is underway and can be viewed >here<

Writer of the Month

The Writer of the Month project is not a WF structured challenge. There are no prompts or scoring rubrics involved. Polls may be used to refine or select finalists for WF media publication. Selected works may earn the Pulitzer or similar award.

If there is a challenge, it is aimed at the reviewers or critics of nominated works. Selected reviews may be quoted in WF media platforms, and may earn the reviewer or critic the Star Critter or similar award. Only quality quotable reviews or critiques of eligible works will be considered.The idea is to encourage members to bring the best works posted in the open Prose forums to broader attention and appreciation.

Read more

Our 'Writer of the Month' for February was danielstj with Delta-9 (Language, Some Violence). Who will you nominate for March? Post your nominations <here>

Special Offers to WF members

Originally Posted by WildPolitics

All Things Breathe Alike: A Wildlife Anthology

Donna Mulvenna, Jessica Groenendijk, and Margi Prideaux

One wildlife anthology. Three passionate nature writers. Nine evocative stories.

Some believe the natural world is our real home. Could the eternal pull we feel toward the golden warmth of a rising sun, the tumbling waves of the ocean, or the soothing sound of birdsong, be nature's way of calling us back?

There is a mystery to wildlife we are at a loss to explain, a complexity challenging to describe, and an experience impossible to convey. Margi Prideaux, Jessica Groenendijk, and Donna Mulvenna have been compelled to try, with a journey through some of the most scenic and rich wildlife habitats in the world. All Things Breathe Alike conveys in words the joy of what is not yet lost.

Collect your FREE copy!

http://wildpolitics.co/books/things-breathe-alike/
    http://donnamulvenna.com/books/all-t...breathe-alike/

Meerkat Press

Behind the Mask: A Superhero Anthology - Arcs available to WF members
    Authors: Kelly Link, Cat Rambo, Carrie Vaughn, Seanan McGuire, Sarah Pinsker, Lavie Tidhar, Keith Rosson & more!
    Editors: Tricia Reeks & Kyle Richardson
    Publisher: Meerkat Press

This anthology is coming out 5/16/17, and in the meantime, if you are a member and would like a digital Advance Reader Copy, just complete this request form
    and in the notes, say that you are a WritingForums member.

WF BookStore

When was the last time you checked the shelves of the WF BookStore? Please support our members and check out their books.

Reminder: If you have published a book and would like it included please contact James 剣 斧 血 with details.

National Poetry Month

Last but certainly not least April is National Poetry Month and we will be celebrating at WF by organizing
    # NaPoWriMo - Write 30 poems in 30 days
    # Featured Guest Interviews
    # Poetry Discussions
    # Community Poetry Podcast (there is still time to submit).

Unfortunately, the Grand Poetry Challenge has been delayed until later in the year.

If you have any news items you would like included in the next WiFs, please send me a PM.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by PiP; April 3rd, 2017 at 09:39 PM.
    Who is PiP?
    PiP blogs at PigletinPortugal.com