Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating Characters

I create the character as I progress in the story. Evolution of a character should also closely follow the character's arc. There are many things to consider when doing this, and sometimes having everything you are writing about the character as point-form notes on paper helps a great deal, so as not to forget what you have and have not covered.

-JJB

"But, how do we show them to our readers if we are not completely familiar with them?"

We don't! Your story is only yours while you write. Once released, ownership passes to the reader. Regardless of detail you include, readers will create the characters in their mind's eye. They will even throw out your details which conflict with characters they have created.

Give the reader only those character details needed to advance the story. Make it easy for them to see the characters they enjoy.

I have not commented on your PDF. The system would not allow me to view it, said I didn't have permission.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Semmes View Post
    "But, how do we show them to our readers if we are not completely familiar with them?"

We don't! Your story is only yours while you write. Once released, ownership passes to the reader. Regardless of detail you include, readers will create the characters in their mind's eye. They will even throw out your details which conflict with characters they have created.

Give the reader only those character details needed to advance the story. Make it easy for them to see the characters they enjoy.

I have not commented on your PDF. The system would not allow me to view it, said I didn't have permission.
    I agree with Jack. Characters get created through the actions they take, the thoughts they have and the words they speak. Describing their physical attributes is only necessary if a particular attribute needs to be understood to advance the story. E.g. amputee, particularly ugly (which explains people's reactions to the character), some unique feature, etc. Readers will create the characters, complete with hair color, eye color, size, height, weight, type of clothing they wear as they read.
    Old retired guy working to fulfill a lifelong dream to be a published fiction author.
    I've published, and been paid for, technical articles for Securityfocus.com and I am
    a chapter author (chapter 6) for AVIEN Malware Defense Guide for the Enterprise
    My first book, Prayers Were No Help, is now available as an ebook and on Amazon.
    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook. My webpage.

Character sketches are my preferred way to create characters. Often those become stories in their own right. Those templates are good for consistency of action, which is important, but not for actual character expression. You don't want to drop all of that detail into the piece, but your character knowledge will inform the text. To me, it's exactly the same as doing research. It doesn't all make it in, but the knowledge helps create verisimilitude.

Help support good writing: Test Patterns.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I usually start with a vague image in my head, from there I will go find an image that I feel resembles my character. Now I know what they look like I can get a sense of who they are based on how I want my story to go. So far it's working for me, I also loosely base some of them off of the people in my life. I like the idea of using a checklist or interview style format to get a better understanding of my characters, thank you for those suggestions Ivcabbie and bdcharles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12