Side Trips NON-FICTION
The topic is
"Someone that I knew!"
Important you must read this before entering
The goal this month is, telling a story based around someone you knew. They can be either living or dead, they can be in your life or not. Tell us the story as you see it with them as the main character.
As a writer it is your job to tell an engaging story that will convince them.
There are changes in how the Challenge is to be scored. Criteria for judging will be based on delivery and entertainment value.
There is no limit to the number of pieces that you may score as a member. Please add a brief description of how you arrived at your findings. Please score as many as you can, you are under no obligation to score any, of course the more feedback for the entrants the better.
Total average score wins
All entries are to be sent to me to be posted anonymously in the thread. There will be a separate thread for scoring.
Post any questions in the Road house Diner thread, or go to last months challenge to read the entries or go to the voting and polls section to see how they were scored
The winner will receive a badge pinned to their profile and given a month’s access to FoWF where you’ll have access to hidden forums and use of the chat room.
- All forum rules apply. Side Trips is considered a creative area of the forum. If your entry contains inappropriate language or content, do not forget add a disclaimer or it could result in disciplinary actions taken. Click here for the full list of rules and guidelines of the forum.
- No Poetry! Nothing against you poets out there, but this isn't a place for your poems. Head on over to the poetry challenges for good competition over there. Some of us non-fiction people wouldn’t be able to understand your work! Click Herefor the poetry challenges.
- No posts that are not entries into the competition are allowed. If you have any questions, concerns, or wish to take part in discussion please head over to the The
- Roadhouse Diner We’ll be glad to take care of your needs over there.
- Editing your entry after posting isn’t allowed. You’ll be given a ten minute grace period, but after that your entry may not be scored.
- Only one entry per member.
- No liking entries until the scores go up.
- The word limit is 650 words not including the title. If you go over - Your entry will not be counted. Microsoft Word and Google Drive are the standard for checking this. If you feel it’s incorrect, send it to the host of the competition and we’ll check it for you and add our approval upon acceptance.
- Sources must be cited if appropriate. Citations are excluded from any word limit. The content of footnotes (which includes expository, supplemental information) are also excluded from the 650 word limit, but instead must abide by its own limit of 200 words.
- 1. Important note: The inclusion of cited sources is not always necessary. Some non-fiction genres, such as memoir or personal essay, do not typically include sources.
There are a few ways to post your entry:
- I will place your entry in the Writer's Workshop forum if you wish to protect your first rights, in case, or if you hope to have the entry published one day. otherwise it will be in the Side Trip Challenge forum for all to see.
- All entries are to posted anonymously. To do so, send your entry to the host of the competition. Please mark in the title the story name and that is a entry to the contest. If you wish to have us post it in the workshop thread then "say so." Your name will be made public in the poll thread once the challenge is over, unless you would rather remain un-known.
Writers of all skill levels are welcome and encouraged to participate.
This competition will close on:
April 1st at 12 am EST.