Page 19 of 83 FirstFirst ... 911121314151617181920212223242526272969 ... LastLast

Thread: Firemajic's Daily Dose of Poetic Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Firemajic View Post
    Thank you, sas... my mom used to say that we don't always get what we ask for, but we get what we need.. I have always escaped, found solace and comfort in the woods and along the river, watching the wild things...
    I do that too! Quiet attention to nature can be renewing.
    Life makes more sense if you don't take it personally.

My Poems

Quote Originally Posted by jenthepen View Post
    I do that too! Quiet attention to nature can be renewing.

yes, like ... resetting your mental compass...
    If you are a writer, reach a reader
    If you are a fighter, teach a leader
    If you are a lover, touch a leper
    If this has helped you, thank you, reader

If you can read this, teach a thinker

Author: Lynn Loschky

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemajic View Post
    yes, like ... resetting your mental compass...
    Absolutely, and we all need that sometimes.
    Life makes more sense if you don't take it personally.

My Poems

Morning Reflection

But then
    heard a solitary hawk calling
    in the early morning fog.
    First soaring,
    the clinging low
    to the snow covered ground.
    Caught somewhere between heaven and earth.

Twigs
    crackling under my feet,
    my breath rising, blending with the fog.
    Loading up the babies, the twin loves of my life,
    hurrying on into the day.

Thus hushed
    and called for a silent moment
    to remember the solitary hawk
    and the real journey I am on.

Author: Lydia Ann Pavey
    Fifth Place Award Winner

I dedicate this poem to jenthepen.... soul sister

Author unknown.

In the winter, when our screened porch is closed, my partner and I turn our reading chairs toward the door wall and pull them close to it. We hand feed pet-like squirrels while we read. Most are distinctly recognized and have names. Every so often a hawk swoops in to carry one away. I've come to accept this. My granddaughters are mortified. A study showed that those elderly fear their own death less than those younger, and it had nothing to do with disability or health. It was acceptance. I accept that a hawk will come for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sas View Post
    In the winter, when our screened porch is closed, my partner and I turn our reading chairs toward the door wall and pull them close to it. We hand feed pet-like squirrels while we read. Most are distinctly recognized and have names. Every so often a hawk swoops in to carry one away. I've come to accept this. My granddaughters are mortified. A study showed that those elderly fear their own death less than those younger, and it had nothing to do with disability or health. It was acceptance. I accept that a hawk will come for me.

I can understand that... I think the young ones have not had the exposure and the experience with death that others have had. When my Mom was killed in a wreck, I became afraid to drive, and I convinced myself that I would be safe, if I stayed in my home. 13 months later I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, less than 1% chance of survival... That is when I realized that I could not hide from the Hawk. As time went on and dad passed away, then my Husband passed on, I was no longer afraid of death...I live in the shadow of the Hawk, and I am fine with it..

Sas, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me, and I love seeing a poem through your eyes...

On a different note, I am a squirrel lovvver, and have had the honor of bottle feeding 6 babies... they still live on my property and delight me every day...I also have 3 pairs of Red Tail Hawks that nest on my property and every morning I hear their hunting song, and watch as the squirrels scamper away...

Author unknown.

We are both lucky to live within such wildlife. I think you are near a river, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sas View Post
    We are both lucky to live within such wildlife. I think you are near a river, too.

Yes, I am near a river.. I have a sacred place there, where I go and watch the eagles...
    There is a huge willow that overlooks a bend on the river and on a limb, I tied some prayer feathers, my people believe that everyone should have a sacred place where one can go and commune with one's own spirit. and to mark it as a sacred place, we hang prayer feathers... My place is the willow on the river..
    I have a strong affinity with the river, it is relentless in it's pursuit of it's final destination... it will change it's own path, reshaping the banks, flooding the land, eroding and destroying anything that stands in it's way in it's quest to move onward...

Author unknown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20160505_182929.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	17377

A pic of one of my baby squirrels...

Author unknown.

In some parts of the world, squirrels are kept as pets in cages. Not sure nice for them, but a hawk won't be eating them. Are you of American Indian descent? A long time (from childhood) friend of my sister played their ceremonial drum. They were played at her funeral. Wonderful sound. And, yes, there is power and peace in a river. The Grand Canyon knows this.