Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIP Baron

RIP Baron

It is with great sadness and deep sorrow that I bring this terrible news to our staff and members. Our beloved Captain and former owner Baron (Robert Staniford) is no longer with us. He tragically died of liver cancer a little over two months ago. His passing is a devastating loss for his family, friends, and those who had the privilege of knowing him on a personal and professional level. I considered it an honour to know him on both, and to call him a friend, and my heart breaks for his family at this time.

Rob was one of the first members that I struck up a friendship with, long before he entertained the thought of buying WF, and that friendship endured for many years. He invited me not only onto his staff when he first assumed ownership of WF, but also into his life as well. He shared many a private message with me about his world, his wife, and his children. He was a proud father, a loving husband, and a terrific writer, storyteller, and advisor. In essence, Rob was a gentleman who put the needs of others above his own; a spiritual man who accepted everyone regardless of who or what they were; and someone who inspired others in ways he didn't even know.

He will be sadly and dreadfully missed.

Farewell, Rob. I hope, wherever you are, you know how much you meant to us all.

It was a honour, Captain.
    Site Rules and Regs

My Novel

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Robert Staniford.

A man who made a massive difference in my life. He taught me more about myself and my capabilities than any amount of schooling. With one act of trust and a lot of guidance he put me on a new path through life's journey. I am now a new person. I cannot thank him enough for the change. I miss him deeply.

I suspect he will not be resting in peace, he will be hard at work making heaven a better place.

I thank the mysterious force behind the universe for the chance meeting.

The world is still lit by his presence. Farewell.

I didn't know the Baron well but I'm saddened by his passing. I wish his family and friends comfort.

Though I didn't know him on the site, I see his legacy all over this place. My condolences to his family and his friends, both here on the site and in his personal life, and I hope we can continue to honor the tradition he created with this place.

Thanks for the great forum, Baron.
    If you ever need a second set of eyes on your work, PM me for a critique! I'm happy to help

It was not my privilege to serve on staff when Baron was the owner. However, reading his posts in different areas of the site made me realise he left one hell of a legacy and good foundations on which to build.

My sincere condolences to his friends and family.
    Who is PiP?
    PiP blogs at PigletinPortugal.com

I'm sorry to hear this sad news, although I did't know him, I knew of him. My condolences to his family.
    Nellie

"I have my books and my poetry to protect me
    I am shielded in my armor, hiding in my room,
    safe within my womb
    I touch no one and no one touches me
    I am a rock, I am an island."
    ~Simon & Garfunkel

Such terrible news. I only knew him the last couple months he was the owner, but again I've seen his legacy everywhere. My thoughts are with his family, and I dearly hope he's in a better place.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."
    ~Will Rogers

I'm deeply saddened by the loss of one of the giants of WF. He was a gentleman and a fine poet. He was a firebrand and wunderkind of the poetry boards when I was an admin- He made WF better and was one of the first to point out that the system in place needed changing- Like Cran he too was a visionary

RIP
    Nature weeps, the devil sings
    at mans greed and pride
    and what it brings

Just lots of useless
    little things

Unfortunately I never knew him, but as a beneficiary of the long-term effects of his leadership, I wish all God's strength and love to his family.
    For any who are wondering...

Show: Stephanie's eyes rose and her lips curved down as Melanie ambled through with intentional grace. Men's eyes widened ablaze; Stephanie's narrowed in darkness. Her snarling lips caressed the edge of her glass.

Tell: Stephanie was jealous of Melanie.

The sad news has reached us of the passing of Robert Staniford AKA Baron. WF owes much to Rob's time as its owner. He steered the forum from the brink of collapse to the place it now enjoys; the best community for writers and creative artists on the net. He bought the forum from its previous owner because he saw what it could be.

He saw the tremendous spirit in the volunteers who gave of their own time and efforts to make the place work smoothly, and he saw its members trying against the odds to rise above the all-too-common race to the bottom playgrounds of hate and hurt. He made it his mission to support and encourage those who wanted a better place to hone their skills, share their experiences, and foster new writers and creative artists. He succeeded in that mission.

Rob and I joined WF at about the same time, and although we often locked horns over some detail or other, we shared the same visions and the same aims for writers and creative artists, and especially for WF and its future. These shared goals led to working together on a number of forums and projects.

When Rob had decided to sell WF and focus on other aspects of his life, he wanted to ensure that the forum did not go to a non-member owner, to revert to the difficult days. I agreed, was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time, and determined enough to take on the continuing mission.

The world is a little smaller, a little colder, without Rob, but his legacy and his memory will live on.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast