Page 1 of 176 1234567891151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that annoy you

Things that annoy you

I taught an adult ESL class a few years back and a topic I really liked was "things that annoy you."

It was usually a fun class and people never ran out of things to say.

I'll start.

- People chewing food loudly on the train (or in other close vicinity).

- Being charged 300% up in price on drinks at resturants (drinks are actually VERY cheap for food services and they put in like 40% ice).

- Misunderstanding words in my second language I know well.

- Advertising anywhere except TV. (I guess I am just used to it on TV my whole life. I find it annoying in most other places).

UPDATE:

Here is a list of 50 things I picked out from this thread that annoy us! If I missed your comment, you can PM me and I will add it!

Things that annoy us

1. SNOW! (hairball)
    2. Chewingum annoys me. (pip)
    3. Spam E-mail (mrmustard615)
    4. Poor graphic design (stormcat)
    5. Movies that don't live up to the expectations provided by the hype (rhythmofpain)
    6. People who believe hype. (Terry D)
    7. Haters. (Crowley Jarvis)
    8. Reckless / distracted drivers (mzsnowleapord)
    9. People who drop litter wherever they go. (aquarius)
    10. Christmas songs on the radio......... (escorial)
    11. miserable lawyers (instituteman)
    12. 12 year old girls with their attitudes (phunkymunkey)
    13. Army officers annoy me (ismith)
    14. That meme font... (bruno spartola)
    15. Poltergeists. (20oz)
    16. My dogs trying bury things in my bed (thewandering novice)
    17. When my anxiety handed my ass on a silver platter (the Green Shield)
    18. Sales reps (atlean wordsmith)
    19. Tyrannosaurus Rex... that really gets my goat. (tipgrundlefunk)
    20. When you queue in traffic for ages (arthur G mustard)
    21. being wide awake at One o' clock in the morning (blue midget)
    22. employers who don't get back to you to let you know the outcome of an interview (dave watson)
    23. Homophobic people (justine)
    24. tooth aches (lewdog)
    25. retired people grocery shopping on Saturday (alanmt)
    26. The man who was driving up the A3 in front of me (olly buckle)
    27. Organizations harassing me to donate money (j anfinson)
    28. when older people assume or insist something is better because it is what they are used to (KLJo)
    29. Insurance companies saying "No" to every claim (musichal)
    30. People smoking in non-smoking areas (shi)
    31. The terrible bores who make lists of all the things that annoy them (patrick)
    32. Motion sickness (kyle R)
    33. Gum on my shoe (kevin)
    34. WF members who don't identify by their location which country they are in (just rob)
    35. Justin Bieber (riis marshall) (probably the best one in almost 1000 responses!!!)
    36. Losing internet connection (shadow eyes)
    37. Tax exempt churches (pluralized)
    38. Trying to overtake a cyclist on a narrow country lane (kepharel)
    39. Anyone who believes only whites can be racist (jon M)
    40. People who eat mcdonalds (allysan)
    41. Bullies (buzz cargo)
    42. being yelled to by someone in another room (foolonamoon)
    43. People who follow rules when the reason for the rules no longer applies (dave billig)
    44. Misunderstanding words in my second language I know well (mesafalcon)
    45. "I got mine, too bad about you" (midnightpoet)
    46. My sisters (dgirl1986)
    47. People who don't know what an adverb is (book cook)(and that’s me!)
    48. Husbands who expect me to stop what i am doing just because they have caught me in bed with their wife (gofa)
    49. I intensely hate snow too nowadays (ultraroel)
    50. My husband. He annoys me often. (amsawtell)
    Last edited by Mesafalcon; February 29th, 2016 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Updated the OP
    Looking for beta readers for a 22k word novella set in medieval/fantasy.

The rags to riches story of a scavenger.

Please PM me if you would give any amount a whirl!

Grantham, Lincolnshire - home of Isaac Newton and some woman whose name I've forgotten
    Hello Mesa

People who say 'obviously' when whatever being discussed is already obvious.

People who say 'simplistic' when they, in fact, mean 'simple'.

Directors of crime, thriller and detective films and TV drama who insist on putting silencers on revolvers - usually Webley 455s.

Politicians who keep telling me their actions are in my best interests.

Hospital administrators.

Human Resource and Personnel Persons.

North Korea.

Justin Bieber.

Simon Cowell.

Ant and Dec.

Stuff that doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

All the best with your writing.

Warmest regards
    Riis
    Last edited by Riis Marshall; July 24th, 2015 at 11:59 AM.
    All writing is practise for the writing that follows.
    If it jams, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyhow.
    If you like intelligent contemporary conspiracy thrillers, you may want to check out The Bureau of Happiness
    http://tinyurl.com/qfudnno

Humidity.

Friends who don't get that I'm joking around, even though I make it fairly obvious.

People who let their pets run loose and unsupervised outdoors.

Same as above, but keep buying new pets after the old ones run off.
    If you're not sure how to take something I say, keep in mind that Bob Ross is my spirit animal. I'm just painting happy little trees.

“The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.”
    Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Blog Entries
    Driving with an old car and constantly fearing that the tires will pop.
    Losing internet connection.
    Insects that inexplicably manage to crawl/fly/skitter into my house.
    Packing clothes and having them get wrinkled.
    Pulling a book from a shelf only to have the other books cascade.
    Random encounters in RPGs when you're about to die.
    That person who manages to read loudly at the coffee shop.
    Also, songs that play in stores.
    And probably the most annoying thing in existence, children fighting.

All of my problems would be solved if I was an axe-wielding barbarian.
    Last edited by ShadowEyes; July 24th, 2015 at 06:04 PM.
    "All men are weak at some time in their lives. Strength does not make one capable of rule; it makes one capable of service." -- The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

"Truck nuts"

Commuters on Harleys who leave home at the ass crack of dawn

People whose political ideology comes purely from one media source or inherited opinion

Drivers who don't wait their turn and try to cut in at the last minute when the lane ends

The Prison-Industrial Complex

The NSA

Nancy Grace

Bobcat Goldthwaite

Pee-Wee Herman

Flies

Tax exempt churches
    Tilde bleat wedded meat with gurgle-tweets. Bump governor in blue grease biggles. Pundle traps with blanched pachyderm doolally. Over six criminal pouch grinder static mandates, rip gobbler waiting three stretch ungulates. Rubbing concealed portions of goat, thirty teeth afloat, blood-moon peeks under blankets of molted misgivings.

The list is too long...
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

Bar persons who don’t notice you’ve been waiting to be served for 10 minutes and serves someone else who just arrives and stands next to you.

The charitable status and tax exemptions enjoyed by public schools like Eton to educate silver spoon fed rich kids just because daddy knows someone and can afford the ludicrous fees.

Trying to overtake a cyclist on a narrow country lane.

The last train home being cancelled after a howling drinking binge in a pub 12 miles from where you live.

Tinned Salmon

Ian Duncan Smith

Checkout till girl who keeps asking for price checks on items for someone who has a trolley full weeks shop while you’re there with a sandwich and a can of coke because you don’t know how to use those self service tills.

Bosses who put power and career preservation before the good of their employers and who invariably know how and who to schmooze but have to get a guy from the tech department in to press the on button of their computer.

Thinking up that killer retort that would have shut some offensive big mouth up when it's too late and the conversation has moved on.
    Last edited by Kepharel; July 24th, 2015 at 07:58 PM.
    One Christmas was so much like another, in those years around the sea-town corner now and out of all sound except the distant speaking of the voices I sometimes hear a moment before sleep, that I can never remember whether it snowed for six days and six nights when I was twelve or whether it snowed for twelve days and twelve nights when I was six." From A Child's Christmas in Wales - Dylan Thomas

Twitter
    Militant beliefs, specifically regarding religion, race and gender relations.
    Hardcore feminism (see above)
    Anyone who believes only whites can be racist
    People whose primary identification is "writer", excluding those with an obvious cool factor of 10 or more.
    Healthcare administrative types who make important policy decisions but are never actually in the trenches doing the work directly affected by said policy decisions.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Notes from the Night

Mouth breathers
    slurpers
    loud chewers
    people who chew with their mouths open
    monsanto
    killer wasps
    other people's kids... I know it's horrible.
    People who eat mcdonalds. It's 2015 for crying out loud. We all know that shit's plastic.
    GMO's and pesticides

ugh I could keep this going all day!

People who don't Google, Snopes, or think, before sharing.

Forced social interaction like chain e-mail, "99% won't share or repost", "post amen if you agree."

The fact that cable companies get paid on both ends, advertisers AND advertisement audiences.

Man sandals. Just... I can't even... NO.

Page 1 of 176 1234567891151101 ... LastLast