Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scrivner? Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Rookish View Post
    FocusWriter for linux-based systems is used by me. Aesthetically it is quite nifty, thought I am yet to discover whether it has advanced functionalities for more serious projects.

Screenshot, for the curious or the bored:

http://i.imgur.com/V9hPVjz.jpg
    Looks very simple. I assume you can change the work area from dark to light background with dark text? Typing on a dark background makes my eyes hurt.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Art, dogs and cranky dispatches from this absurd Universe:
    sigmadog.com

Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
    Looks very simple. I assume you can change the work area from dark to light background with dark text? Typing on a dark background makes my eyes hurt.
    The appearance is quite tweakable, with default themes included ('old school' green on black, white paper on wooden desk etc. etc.)

Otherwise, yes, it's very basic with mostly text alignment and style as additional features.

For typing, it pleases me greatly. But if I were ever to do larger pieces, editing with scrivner or a similar port will probably be a mandatory step.

Quote Originally Posted by MzSnowleopard View Post
    What are the comparisons + / - between Scrivner and Novel Factory?
    The Novel Factory has more of a strict structure, compared to Scrivener's more flexible, customisable structure.

The Novel factory has set tabs for keeping planning, characters, scenes (with various drafts), locations etc. The each section has areas for the relevant information, e.g. planning has places for premise, story sketleton, short synopsis, long synopsis, etc and the character section allows you to add character files and fill in details about their basic info, motivation and all that.

It could do with more customisation options, but those are on the way.

I would say Scrivener has a lot more features, but the Novel Factory is much easier to use from the moment you open it. It also includes a Roadmap - a step by step guide to writing a novel - which is optional, of course : )

Hope that helps!
    "I have achieved more in the past two months using your program than in the previous two years." Click here to find out more.

I've been on Google docs for a while now, but Word 2010 is still better I'd say.

Just wanted to add: I also use Scapple - which is made by the same dudes as Scrivener, and is basically a digital white board / post it notes - type thing. I find it really useful for putting down plot points and shifting them around.
    "I have achieved more in the past two months using your program than in the previous two years." Click here to find out more.

This will probably paint me in a horrible light but....

I'm currently writing most of my stuff in wattpad (an app). I've started something like 10+ short stories and novella's on it, telling myself I'm going to publish them. I never do but I'm currently working on something very promising...haha.

My first novella (unfinished) I wrote in 10th grade using some free software I got off a $50 netbook bought from china. The keyboard must have been 1/3 the size of a normal one but boy did I have fun with that story.

I like the app because I can write on my computer but if I'm stuck somewhere with nothing but my phone for company I can whip out my story and proof-read or add a bit.

When I have my computer I like to copy/paste pieces into the hemingwayapp website for proofing.

I back up most of my writing by copy/pasting chapters into a text editor called Sublime...which isn't meant for writers in the slightest but shhh.

I use Word, various flavors. The only other programs I use are Sigil and Calibre for making ebooks and the various art programs for designing covers. I've found that I don't need external programs to organize my things. Novel chapters are treated as short stories in my universe, where a themed collection is the norm. So I have a collection of folders on my various desktops, that get copied into dropbox and hardcopied for the file cabinet.
    Anything else gets cumbersome and detracts from productivity. YMMV.

Help support good writing: Test Patterns.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    I use Word, various flavors. The only other programs I use are Sigil and Calibre for making ebooks and the various art programs for designing covers. I've found that I don't need external programs to organize my things. Novel chapters are treated as short stories in my universe, where a themed collection is the norm. So I have a collection of folders on my various desktops, that get copied into dropbox and hardcopied for the file cabinet.
    Anything else gets cumbersome and detracts from productivity. YMMV.
    Love Calibre. One of my favourite programs of all time.

I've used Sigil in the past, as well.
    Site Rules and Regs

My Novel

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Wrote my first novel using an Android tablet with Word 2016 and a bluetooth keyboard.

My laptop has Word 2016. I use it for school work more than anything.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."
    ~Will Rogers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123