Page 1 of 21 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: What grinds my gears...

What grinds my gears...

Today, at work, some colleagues were talking about space and one mentioned "String theory" in a context that doesn't make any sense. I wanted to tell him he's an idiot, because he obviously doesn't know what String theory even is, yet along mentioning it casually. Of course I didn't, but second time he mentioned it I wanted to smash a chair on him. It's not a problem he doesn't know what String theory represents, it's his way of telling. Other colleague corrected him saying String theory isn't what he means it is, and they changed the subject. What I'm trying to say is, I really hate when people use expressions in a manner like they're experts and they really don't know shit. What grinds your gears?
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schrodingers_cat.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	7440

i was sitting on that chair
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Schrody View Post
    Today, at work, some colleagues were talking about space and one mentioned "String theory" in a context that doesn't make any sense. I wanted to tell him he's an idiot, because he obviously doesn't know what String theory even is, yet along mentioning it casually. Of course I didn't, but second time he mentioned it I wanted to smash a chair on him. It's not a problem he doesn't know what String theory represents, it's his way of telling. Other colleague corrected him saying String theory isn't what he means it is, and they changed the subject. What I'm trying to say is, I really hate when people use expressions in a manner like they're experts and they really don't know shit. What grinds your gears?
    what kind of work do you do?

As for what grinds my gears, I shall sadly be forced to make a whole thread about it. I can't discuss here. =(
    Not sure in which section to put it in....maybe prose

Famine. But people getting String Theory wrong is right up there...
    "When I am gone, it won't be long before I disturb you in the dark."

~ My Soundcloud Page ~

Blog Entries
    Back in my working days, it was (to use a semi-polite term) "brown nosers." Actually, that's an apt description, because they've got their noses so far up the boss's...never mind.
    "The blind may be leading the blind, but the seeing have been leading the seeing for years without any visible results."

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Walt Kelly's Pogo

"Put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion."

Anon (as far as I know)

"If you climb upon your high horse, don't be surprised if you get bucked off."

Midnightpoet (as far as I know)

Quote Originally Posted by Schrody View Post
    ... What I'm trying to say is, I really hate when people use expressions in a manner like they're experts and they really don't know shit. What grinds your gears?
    When I was engaged to my ex-wife, we went on a trip with my father-in-law and his wife. As we're walking out of the hotel, on our way to do something, somewhere, I saw a set of twins.

"Look at the pair of twins," I said.

"Your mother was a teacher. They are twins or a set of twins, not a pair! What sort of things did she teach you?" exclaimed my father-in-law, with a mischievous grin.

"She taught me not to correct people in public," I replied.

He loved me after that.

(Though, I find myself hard-pressed not to correct people in public. )

There's one thing that makes me furious and "grinds my gears" - I can not stand people who use the ignorance of others for their own selfish gain. I just can't. When I see this happening, I get incensed. I can't abide it. I find myself forced to speak out. I can accept the blind leading the blind, but I can't accept those who know better deliberately "informing" someone falsely, just to get that person to do what they want them to do or to agree with their point of view. Mistakes happen and I can allow for that. But, when it's obviously done purposefully and knowingly, I consider it unforgivable... Well, it's something that would require those who commit such a violation of basic human trust to do wonderful and numerous deeds in order to be forgiven, at any rate.

This is probably why I dislike polarized politics...

Quote Originally Posted by belthagor View Post
    what kind of work do you do?

As for what grinds my gears, I shall sadly be forced to make a whole thread about it. I can't discuss here. =(
    Not sure in which section to put it in....maybe prose
    Administrative business, lawsuits and such (I make sure everything's right with them; are they written well and such. It's just a small part of my job).

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Spatola View Post
    Famine. But people getting String Theory wrong is right up there...
    LOL. Like I said, it's not about String theory - he could've said anything else, it's the elegance of his words, like he knew what he was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightpoet View Post
    Back in my working days, it was (to use a semi-polite term) "brown nosers." Actually, that's an apt description, because they've got their noses so far up the boss's...never mind.
    He's not my boss, he's a peasant like me. And I have a very good hearing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Morkonan View Post
    When I was engaged to my ex-wife, we went on a trip with my father-in-law and his wife. As we're walking out of the hotel, on our way to do something, somewhere, I saw a set of twins.

"Look at the pair of twins," I said.

"Your mother was a teacher. They are twins or a set of twins, not a pair! What sort of things did she teach you?" exclaimed my father-in-law, with a mischievous grin.

"She taught me not to correct people in public," I replied.

He loved me after that.

(Though, I find myself hard-pressed not to correct people in public. )

There's one thing that makes me furious and "grinds my gears" - I can not stand people who use the ignorance of others for their own selfish gain. I just can't. When I see this happening, I get incensed. I can't abide it. I find myself forced to speak out. I can accept the blind leading the blind, but I can't accept those who know better deliberately "informing" someone falsely, just to get that person to do what they want them to do or to agree with their point of view. Mistakes happen and I can allow for that. But, when it's obviously done purposefully and knowingly, I consider it unforgivable... Well, it's something that would require those who commit such a violation of basic human trust to do wonderful and numerous deeds in order to be forgiven, at any rate.

This is probably why I dislike polarized politics...
    Yes, I hate manipulation too. Anyway, this isn't everything that grinds my gears (obviously), but it happened today and I wanted to share, you already know I'm crazy XD
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora...

liars. some people might consider that ironic coming from a fiction writer. but i mean lies for the purpose of outright deception.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.”

I know what grinds my gears. People who are so opinionated they have to demonize those that have the audacity to disagree with them. We get along so well when people seem to hate each other.

EDIT: Just saw Mork's post. Basically I agree with him

Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition! (Monty Python)

Reporter: How did you find America?
    John Lennon: Turn left at Greenland (A Hard Day's Night)

Totally agree, Mustard. I know I seem like an opinionated person, but I'm actually not at all. I love it when people have a different viewpoint; it makes the world interesting.
    "When I am gone, it won't be long before I disturb you in the dark."

~ My Soundcloud Page ~

Page 1 of 21 12345678911 ... LastLast