Page 1 of 105 1234567891151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Roadhouse Diner

The Roadhouse Diner

A place to relax, chill out, and talk about prompts and other things related to LM non-fiction contests (more on that soon).

Have at it!
    Site Rules and Regs

My Website

My blog

My Novel

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

All rightie then!

So in discussions elsewhere, we've decided to have this competition and it will start on the 15th. Because Fin is a saintly and generous person, he has agreed to run it.

Now we need a prompt and some judges.

Anyone?

... some prompt ideas from my livingroom:
    Fall
    Sleeping Dog
    X-Ray Eyes
    Versatile Vehicle
    Multiplicity
    Last edited by lasm; October 1st, 2013 at 04:01 PM.

This is an exciting new addition to the site!

Prompt ideas:
    3d Printing
    Instinct
    Water

Also, I'll be glad to judge!
    Last edited by Pluralized; October 1st, 2013 at 05:14 PM.

I think it's going to work out very well having this challenge dovetail with the regular LM. So, in regards to scores, has the poll idea been scrapped?

Prompts:

Delayed Onset
    Take Care
    Numb
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Notes from the Night

Some more prompts (courtesy of pw.org):

Currency
    Found Essay
    The Things You Carry
    The Year You Were Born
    Local Native / The Tourist
    Obsession
    Declaration of Independence
    What Do You Want?
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Notes from the Night

re: the poll idea--I don't think it's been scrapped, just seemed to me like everyone was saying if we could get judges that would be better; so I figured we could see how many people might be willing and proceed based on that.

+1 for Instinct and Found Essay.

Prompt Ideas:
    Behind the Emerald Curtain
    Left Unturned
    Small Town, USA

I think I'll sit the first one out. I just can't really get my head around writing a 650-word nonfiction piece. I mean I've written essays before but my level of academic essay-writing is that of a Senior in High School; I'd have no idea where to begin. I'd like to see how it's approached first.
    "Don't forget the happy thoughts
    All you need is happy thoughts
    The past tense, past bed time
    Way back then when everything we read was real
    And everything we said rhymed"

-Chance the Rapper, "Same Drugs"

I have to admit, many of the proposed prompts give me immediate fiction ideas, but I just can't see how to make a non-fiction piece from them. I am more than willing to admit this is ignorance on my part; and I'll give it a go, whatever the prompt, come the glorious day. But I am left wondering if I've misunderestimated what this is all about.
    "Ideas may seem like gold nuggets, but they're more like seeds. You have to plant them, water them, weed them, nurture them, and watch them grow. Every seed will turn out differently depending on whose garden it lands in." Nickleby, 14/6/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jon M View Post
    I think it's going to work out very well having this challenge dovetail with the regular LM. So, in regards to scores, has the poll idea been scrapped?
    I thought the last was to run them side by side and combine the results for an overall winner.

ETA: Re judges - I know I put my hand up as a fall-back/fill-in judge in the other discussion; I believe at least one other did similar.

I am wondering if referencing style or styles should be stipulated up front, or if any style is deemed acceptable.
    Last edited by Cran; October 1st, 2013 at 11:34 PM.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

Page 1 of 105 1234567891151101 ... LastLast