Page 1 of 115 1234567891151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you learned today?

What have you learned today?

I love to learn. Although my head is primarily filled with useless, odd-ball facts, I'm still hungry for more. I like to learn something every day.

Today, I learned that our solar system will end in approximately 5 billion years when our sun runs out of fuel, becomes a Red Giant (before becoming a white dwarf) and sucks in the inner planets, including Earth.

Regardless of how significant or insignificant, share with us something that you've learned today.

Blog Entries
    I learned there are several simple gestures that can offensive in other parts of the world. I also learned some odd ball literary facts like when Henry David Thoreau graduated from Harvard it cost $5 to get a copy of the diploma. He didn't think it was worth the money so he left without buying one.

I've dreamed of that event, our sun going supernova, in amazing detail. I could see the planets around me; biggest and best dream I ever had.

Today I learned that the universe is cooling exactly how the big bang theory predicts it should. Also, today, the first brain pacemaker was implanted into a woman's head. She had Alzheimer's disease, and this device will, apparently, improve some of her brain functions. Pretty brilliant. It basically stimulates the brain in a way that regulates its normal patterns, I think. Will lead to better and less expensive treatments, I assume/hope.
    "When I am gone, it won't be long before I disturb you in the dark."

~ My Soundcloud Page ~

I learned that in Norway, over the weekend, a truck carrying cheese, was involved in a wreck in a tunnel where the truck caught fire. The cheese burned so hot that it blocked the tunnel and took two days until the firefighters could get it under control. They compared the burning cheese to gasoline fires.

Yes, cheese.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amsawtell View Post
    I learned that in Norway, over the weekend, a truck carrying cheese, was involved in a wreck in a tunnel where the truck caught fire. The cheese burned so hot that it blocked the tunnel and took two days until the firefighters could get it under control. They compared the burning cheese to gasoline fires.

Yes, cheese.
    Now all they need is a truck carrying lab mice to wreck and clean it up.

I learned that digital information, such as MP3 files, .pdfs, whatever, can be encoded into DNA. I've been writing about the digital capacity of the central nervous system in my fiction since the late 70s and am naturally quite pleased to have been right

I commit bloggery at RetroGrade A. My tri-weekly column can be found at Cub Tracks. before Crazytown is here. monochrome is coming soon. You can support my writing and music at moderan's Patreon. I am an Amazon and Goodreads author and I do book reviews at Skelos Press. Help support good writing for a small contribution: Test Patterns.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    I learned that digital information, such as MP3 files, .pdfs, whatever, can be encoded into DNA. I've been writing about the digital capacity of the central nervous system in my fiction since the late 70s and am naturally quite pleased to have been right
    Thank you for this! Now I feel like my spaceship idea is founded.

Louisiana and not the fun part where everyone gors out "chootin' gaytahs"
    I learned many non-useful things today (actually yesterday but it seems I have forgotten to go to sleep again).
    Vinegar is great for getting foot-stank out of thrift stores shoes but little gets the smell if vinegar out. In conjunction with this I learned I should sniff shoes before buying them from a thrift store. A ferret travelling at X miles per hour will not slow down as it decides to hcreep up your pants leg in an ambush. . Fat girls in baggy sweaters and PT Cruisers do not mix... neither do heart meds and tequila.

Quote Originally Posted by Saeria View Post
    I learned many non-useful things today (actually yesterday but it seems I have forgotten to go to sleep again).
    Vinegar is great for getting foot-stank out of thrift stores shoes but little gets the smell if vinegar out. In conjunction with this I learned I should sniff shoes before buying them from a thrift store. A ferret travelling at X miles per hour will not slow down as it decides to hcreep up your pants leg in an ambush. . Fat girls in baggy sweaters and PT Cruisers do not mix... neither do heart meds and tequila.
    Try kitty litter and a plastic bag for the stank. Just put the item in a plastic bag, pour in enough clean kitty litter to fill it, tie off the bag and let it rest for a week. Gets rid of smells. Kitty litter is also good for getting grease stains out of concrete.

True story. If the kitty litter doesn't do the job completely, get a little activated charcoal and use that. Make sure that the bag is tightly closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by amsawtell View Post
    Thank you for this! Now I feel like my spaceship idea is founded.
    Here
    Last edited by moderan; January 24th, 2013 at 01:19 PM.

I commit bloggery at RetroGrade A. My tri-weekly column can be found at Cub Tracks. before Crazytown is here. monochrome is coming soon. You can support my writing and music at moderan's Patreon. I am an Amazon and Goodreads author and I do book reviews at Skelos Press. Help support good writing for a small contribution: Test Patterns.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 115 1234567891151101 ... LastLast