Thread: Introduce Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Hi Kerry and welcome. Hang on to that self-doubt but regard it not as crippling but enlightening. It is how we become better than ourselves and if one keeps on doing that then perhaps there's a chance of becoming better than everyone else eventually, but certainly no worse. Just from the prose that you've written here, for everything that we write is literature of a sort, I would say that you've already made the right impression. You may regard that as your first critique if you like.

So, you are not convinced by self-deprecating poets without evidence then. In that case here is a link to my own claim not to be a poet, the first of the very few poems that I've posted on WF.

Nothing per verse
    Hi Rob,

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I try to do. I think there's a certain benefit of being your own worst critic, because as you say, you learn what needs to be improved quite rapidly sometimes too much so as often I can begin a project and by the end find my writing style has changed beyond recognition in the process. But sometimes you just want that consistency; to be able to get on with your work without your brain picking at itself, depleting all confidence and creative thought in the process.

Thank you very much for that. I greatly appreciate it.

Definitely never convinced of self-deprecating poets or artists in any sense. I think that's one of the main issues of being a creative person: we lack the ability to see what others find remarkable or just merely interesting about our own work. Funny, considering that's the one thing we seem to fear the most! Other peoples' opinions.

The irony of your poem . . . perfect. Sums up how I feel the majority of the time!
    "To trust is to our peril, but to not is to be alone. And then ― oh, the silence . . ."
    - Cream, River

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryMagpie View Post
    Hi, Jenthepen!

Generally, my poems are very personal, melancholic things. They're more like preserved memories, or moments of reflection on short lines, really.

As for stories, I'm mostly into trying to blend gritty realism and modern society with a bit of folklore and history. So generally quite dark, overall. I'm a character writer, though, I think. I lean towards writing about unlikely or taboo friendships or relationships, and I do tend to invest a lot of time going through their emotions and back stories and researching as much as I can.

What about you? Besides being a mentor what kinds of things do you like to write about most?
    Your stories and poems sound right up my street. Most of my stuff is driven by the characters too. I'm fascinated with people's circumstances and how their life experiences impact on their behaviour. I also enjoy abandoning all the deep-thinking and just writing a bit of humour sometimes. I used to write short stories all the time but I tend to concentrate on poetry more now. It gives me a real buzz to occasionally manage to capture a thought or an idea well enough that a few others can to relate to it.

I see you have full membership now so I hope it won't be too long before I can read some of your work. I like the lone magpie avatar!

jen
    Life makes more sense if you don't take it personally.

My Poems

Quote Originally Posted by jenthepen View Post
    Your stories and poems sound right up my street. Most of my stuff is driven by the characters too. I'm fascinated with people's circumstances and how their life experiences impact on their behaviour. I also enjoy abandoning all the deep-thinking and just writing a bit of humour sometimes. I used to write short stories all the time but I tend to concentrate on poetry more now. It gives me a real buzz to occasionally manage to capture a thought or an idea well enough that a few others can to relate to it.

I see you have full membership now so I hope it won't be too long before I can read some of your work. I like the lone magpie avatar!

jen

Ah, brilliant! Good on you for being able to do both! I must admit humour really isn't my strong point. I admire those who can write it. I really do. It's wonderful people can relate to your work, too. I'm not surprised you're thrilled when you get comments like that. I never think people will relate to mine!

I've just posted in the poetry section. I'm a little nervous, but I've taken the plunge. The poem itself isn't quite right toward the end, but for the most part I think it's okay. Suitable for the forum, anyway, I hope.

Thanks! I drew it. I'm a better artist than I am a writer, though this is just a sketch. I usually draw human portraits. My goal is to level the two, one day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20150403_0002.jpg  
    "To trust is to our peril, but to not is to be alone. And then ― oh, the silence . . ."
    - Cream, River

That's great artwork! I hope you'll post some of your art on the forum too?

I'm glad you've taken the plunge - I'll check out your poem right now.

My Poems

Thank you! I can do. In fact, I may do later tonight.

And thank you for being so kind about my poem, too. I've only shared my poetry with a handful of people before and I'm genuinely lost for words that it wasn't found to be riddled with flaws!
    - Cream, River

You're welcome, but not kindness, just my honest opinion. Sometimes, the more critical opinions are the most helpful - they force us to look at our work more closely, whether we agree with the suggested changes or not. All critique is the writer's chance to grow so we should never be afraid of it, good or bad. I must admit, though, it is always nice to get some good reaction!

My Poems

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryMagpie View Post
    I'm getting there, slowly I love that the forum's not limited to writing fiction or poetry, too. It's nice to see scripts, lyrics, etc.
    I am glad that you are finding your way around. The diversity is great, it means you can dabble in different types of writing. If you do get a bit lost or just want to chat do not be afraid to give me a PM.

Hi My Name Is Ambrose, I write as a hobby, mainly just for fun. I hope to write for commercial gain one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zensation View Post
    Hi My Name Is Ambrose, I write as a hobby, mainly just for fun. I hope to write for commercial gain one day.
    Hi, Ambrose, and welcome. I hope to write for commercial gain,too--but program code, not prose or poetry. I find I can code to deadline but not the other. And there's room to be creative in code, too--its different, though. I write poetry and short fiction because I have ideas that cannot be expressed other ways. I figure the why I write isn't as important to me as the the that I write. Is it like that for you as well?

Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome Ambrose.

I hope that you are enjoying your exploration of WF.

��